Xclusive! Mengo Hospital linked in COVID-19 dead body repatriation scandal with Aplus, distances self

Share this Story:

Mengo Hospital has been linked and implicated in a scandal for conniving with APlus Funeral Services company to repatriate a COVID-19 dead body into Uganda through Entebbe airport.

Fortebet Uganda Mengo hospital

This comes after Museveni’s order which prohibits the returning of the COVID-19 human remains into the country.

President earlier on said that the COVID-19 victims should be buried where death occurs.

Similarly, in Uganda Museveni added that if any person succumbs to COVID-19, only health experts have the right to bury that person.

The case which implicates Mengo Hospital is after sources alleged that they were approached by the victim’s family to help them smuggle their COVID-19 dead body into the country.

In turn, Mengo Hospital is said to have dealt with APlus Funeral Services to execute the deal through the national airport – Entebbe.

However, this didn’t work as it was planned as the mission was intercepted at the airport and later at Naggalama Police checkpoint, details ahead.

Trusted sources have since established that a team of six (6) members from APlus Funeral Services and 2 of the deceased’s family members were intercepted at Entebbe Airport with a dead body brought into the country as Cargo on 19th April from Doha, aboard Qatar Airways.

ALSO, SEE
How Ugandan Farmers Can use the EzyAgric app to sell online during this COVID-19 Lockdown.

Fortebet Uganda gives COVID-19 task force huge boost

COVID-19 UPDATES – 6 mourners die of COVID-19

The team was forced into a 14 days quarantine by officials of the Ministry of Health after they handled a COVID dead body.

Acknowledging the incident, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) responded as follows;
“Human remains were formally received through Entebbe International Airport on Sunday, April 19, 2020, aboard Qatar Airways from Doha. There wasn’t any disguise.”

CAA, also added that the Standard Operating Procedures for receiving human remains were observed.

An official from security was forced to check the documents entailed to release this cargo and it was established that the death was related to COVID-19, details confirmed.

“The death certificate related to COVID-19,” reports suggested.

“Today our team intercepted 8 people who were taking the body for burial in Kayunga. The body arrived by cargo plane from out of Uganda.

The 8 are quarantined. Be reminded that bodies of COVID infected will not be allowed in the country. Please take note,” Tweeted Dr. Diana Atwine.

However, in a statement dated 22nd April 2020, Mengo Hospital refutes the allegations naming them unfounded allegations, alarmist, unprofessional and unfortunate.

Mengo Hospital has urged the public to avoid fake news.

After dispelling the reports and referring the facts tracers to the Ministry of Health’s statement clearing the air about the matter.

The Director-General of Health Service Dr. Henry Mwebesa issued a statement later acknowledging that indeed its correct a body of the person from Doha had died of “Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

Therefore, a crew of six members of APlus and 2 family members of the deceased had been quarantined at Kayunga, and the Ministry of Health along with the Red Cross took over the burial of this Ugandan.

More details confirming the Incident

After intercepting the body at Entebbe Airport, the Director-General of Health Service Dr. Henry Mwebesa allegedly instructed NAS (http://www.enhas.com/ ) which handles, screens and validates Cargo at Entebbe Airport to keep the body.

Later, the Ministry’s officials would take it up for burial on Monday at the deceased’s native home in Kayunga.

However, NAS defied Dr. Mwebesa’s orders and handed over the body to the deceased’s relatives early Monday morning.

On 20th April 2020 DPC Naggalama received a call from the Commandant Civil Aviation Entebbe on Telephone Contact Number 0701660203 that there was an APlus van carrying a body suspected to be a victim of COVID-19 who died from Doha Qatar on 8th April 2020.

These were heading to Kisawo Village, Kibira Parish, Ntagire Sub-county in Kayunga District but got intercepted at Naggalama Police checkpoint.

The deceased was identified as Ssebulime Daniel 30 years old, and a Muganda by the tribe with a passport number B1083267 who was working as a Manager for First Speed Construction Services in Doha Qatar.

The Aplus van Reg No. UBB 678A was carrying a dead body under the supervision of Kikulwe and the UBD 116V Probox carrying the relatives of the deceased.

Authorities immediately directed all the 8 people be quarantined at Kayunga Referral Hospital for 14 days in a unit refurbished by the government to cater to any arising COVID cases in the area.

 Ministry of Health and Red Cross took over ceremonies and accorded Ssebulime a dignified send-off in Kayunga, the burial was strictly supervised by the Ministry of Health commissioner.

As Mengo Hospital has earlier distanced itself from this story, the MoH PS said that investigations are underway on how the dead body left the airport for burial, adding that the law will take its course once they have the findings.

“Jesus, can Ugandans have sense into our heads. I personally propose that these 8 people be charged into courts of law.

Because such acts of violation of lawful orders can result in catastrophe to all of us.”  Alex Makambura Atukwase responded to Dr. Diana Atwine.

They may not have known what to do. It is time to work together to fight Coronavirus not to apportion blame right now. This disease is new so people are still learning. She advised.

#StayHome #StaySafe

 7,060 total views,  3 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *