She raised the concern after the new Makerere University Academic Staff Association (Muasa) administration chart (2018-2020) was shared showing only men occupying all the 16 leadership body positions.
She said that despite the many qualifying women professors at Makerere, men are still holding many leadership and academic positions at the university than women.
“How is it possible that in this day and age, the oldest university in Uganda has no woman elected onto the executive of its academic staff association? What patriarchy is this? What phallocentricism allows Muasa to be a leadership organ occupied by only men? the furious researcher asked.
Stella Nnyazi also highlighted the dominance of men in Makerere administration structure starting with the University’s Chancellor to the Academic Registrar, all strong positions are held by men.
“The Chancellor is a man, the Vice Chancellor is a man, deputy vice chancellor in-charge of academic affairs is a man, deputy vice chancellor in-charge of finance and administration is a man, the academic registrar is a man”
However, Dr Deus Kamunyu Muhwezi, the Muasa chairman has said that their constitution is very clear on who is eligible for any leadership position.
“The Muasa Constitution which is the supreme law that governs us is also very clear on who should become a leader and actually during its review, it had a good representation of women,” he said.
He added that gender sensitive at Makerere University is among Muasa priorities all the time and their executive is the true representation of MUASA members and they possess power to undo it at anytime following its Constitution.
We are committed to empowerment of women and building an environment where men and women have equal opportunities and fair competition,” the Muasa boss said.
After serving as the Association’s Public Relations Officer for two years, Dr. Deus Kamunyu Muhwezi was on Monday 11th December 2017, elected as the new Chairperson of MUASA replacing Dr. Muhammad Kiggundu-Musoke; a term he officially started on 5th January 2018.
The MUASA Executive headed by Dr. Deus Kamunyu Muhwezi, the Chairperson and other remembers include:
- Assoc. Prof. Edward Nector Mwavu (Vice Chairman),
• Dr. Michael Walimbwa (General Secretary),
• Dr. Geoffrey Nuwagaba (Deputy General Secretary),
• Mr. Hussein Oria (Treasurer),
• Dr. Ronald Kakungulu-Mayambala (Academic & Research),
• Mr. Arthur Mugisha (Welfare),
• Mr. Allan Ochieng (Public & External Relations),
• Assoc. Prof. John Bosco Lamoris Okullo (CAES college representative),
• Mr. Milton Wabyona (CHUSS college representative),
• Dr. Anthony Tibaingana (CoBAMS college representative),
• Dr. Andrew Tamale (CoVAB college representative),
• Dr. Amin Kiggundu Tamale (CEDAT college representative),
• Dr. Erem Geoffrey (CHS college representative) and
• Mr. Mwanje Aloysius Desire (COCIS college representative).