The Duke of Sussex has cancelled his trip to Amsterdam, where he was due next week, amid furious speculation around his baby’s due date.
Prince Harry’s foreign visit was announced on Wednesday and ramped up rumours around when Meghan was going to give birth to their first child.
Buckingham Palace had said he would be going to an official engagement in Amsterdam on Wednesday before travelling on to The Hague to officially launch the one-year countdown to the Invictus Games 2020.
His engagement on Thursday is still expected to go ahead as planned.
It was previously hinted that the final decision on whether he should go would rest on whether Meghan has given birth and when.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “Due to the logistical planning for the travelling press to cover visits and engagements by the Royal Family, we have taken the decision to postpone the Duke of Sussex’s scheduled visit to Amsterdam on Wednesday 8 May.
“The Duke is currently scheduled to travel to The Hague on Thursday 9 May for the launch of the Invictus Games The Hague 2020 as planned.”
The royal baby’s exact due date has not been disclosed, but Meghan did let slip that their first child would be arriving late April or early May.
The visit to Amsterdam and The Hague would have coincided with a visit to Germany by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall from 7 to 11 May.
There was further speculation over the baby’s arrival when Prince Harry made a last-minute decision to attend the London Marathon on Sunday.
Despite being a patron of the sports event, he had not confirmed his attendance in advance as he usually does because of the baby being due any time now.
In an announcement shortly after Princess Eugenie’s wedding in October last year, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said they were expecting their first child in the spring.
The couple have said they plan to keep the birth as private as possible, but it is anticipated the palace will announce when Meghan has gone into labour.
977 total views, 3 views today