Inside South Sudan power sharing truce

Share this Story:

Kampala – Following a third face to face discussion into peace talks to reach a comprise deal to end the nearly two years political crisis in South Sudan, rebel leader Riek Machar set to be ‘reinstated as vice president.

According to a statement shared by Ahmed Al-Dierdiry, the Sudan’s foreign minister, South Sudan’s warring parties have agreed to a power-sharing deal that will see Dr Machar return to his position as vice president.

The deal was reached on Saturday July 7, in the capital, Kampala, aimed at ending ruinous civil war, which erupted in 2013 when a political dispute between President Salva Kiir and
Machar, then-his deputy, escalated into military confrontation.

“It has been agreed that there will be four vice presidents: the current two vice presidents, plus Riek Machar [who] will assume the position of first vice president, and then the fourth position will be allocated to a woman from the opposition,” Ahmed said in a statement.

Ahmed said the new proposal was “accepted by the government” and that Machar’s opposition had accepted the deal “in principle” but would “consider it and come up with the final position” following further negotiations, to begin in Sudan’s capital, Khartoum, on Sunday July 15.

Saturday’s day-long meeting was hosted by Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni and was attended by representatives of the opposition.

Others included Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir who is wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges against humanity and war crimes.

A similar power-sharing deal, that returned Machar to the vice presidency, was signed in 2015. But it collapsed a year later in a deadly battle that saw Machar flee into exile.

The latest agreement is part of renewed regional diplomatic efforts to end a conflict that has killed tens of thousands and forced millions from their homes since December 2013.

The UN report indicates that more than half of South Sudan’s population will need food aid in 2018.

Few weeks ago, the rival sides signed an accord on security arrangements after talks in Khartoum hosted by President Bashir and attended by president Museveni.

Key among key issues discuss in the capital Khartoum having three capital cities in the country during the transitional period, comprehensive ceasefire and deployment of IGAD and African Union monitors raising hopes for an end a conflict that has devastated the world’s youngest country.

The latest truce was violated hours after it began with the government and armed opposition trading blame for attacks that killed 18 civilians.

Multiple attempts at peace deals have failed in the past leaving long-suffering citizens wondering whether this latest attempt would be respected by both leaders.

However, according to regional leaders who are facilitating the talks including President Museveni are confident that these talks will achieve positive results.

Mr Museveni pledged to to support efforts to reach a peaceful settlement of South Sudans cries.

Last month, South Sudan’s government rejected the idea of Machar returning again as Kiir’s deputy.

14,128 total views, 9 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *